Saturday, February 21, 2009

Le Choix Multiple


The downside of an expensive private school education over the years, and a major during my undergraduate years, although at a public University, that involved writing – no bubbles to be filled in, no eeny, meeny, miny or mo, more like….say what you know, try not to b.s. too much and if you’re articulate about it with a well constructed argument, there’s you’re “A”. Let’s not even get in to the fact that I went to Tisch for graduate school….

Enter- life at St. G.: EVERYTHING is multiple choice. You’d think – wow, Simrun, that’s GREAT, right? I mean, all the correct answers are sitting right in front of you.

Nope.

I think I get overwhelmed at the possibilities or that I let them put ideas into my head that weren’t there before. Instead of staring at a blank page eagerly awaiting my prose, I’m looking at options that were intentionally put there to confuse me. On occasion, they seem like clever suggestions. Then, I have to pause – which I hate doing – that whole slowing down thing is excruciating for me. I start to hear the Jeopardy theme song play in my head as I toy with the end of my pencil.

Ultimately, I did fine on the Biochemistry quiz and in Anatomy, but what kills me is that it would have been PHENOMENAL if I didn’t act like a kid in a candy store when I see answer choices of all varieties sitting in front of me just itching for the honor of being bubbled in by yours truly…..

By Thursday night I was incoherent and discovered that by 8:15 PM I literally couldn’t put a sentence together properly. So, like any sane person, I marched back to my dorm room, plopped myself in front of my laptop, and started watching Ugly Betty episodes on Megastic like a champ (yeah, in case you were wondering, that is what I was actually doing instead of going out with my friends and drinking like a normal post-exam student).

Was still pretty tired on Friday, since I didn’t actually get all that much sleep between my Ugly Betty marathon and the gym in the AM. I did, however, still manage to make it to Fish Friday in Goyave for a pretty awesome dinner experience.

Fish Friday is like a street food fair with almost nothing but seafood and fried goodness. A friend introduced me to one of the most deadly desert combinations I’ve stumbled upon to date: Nutmeg ice cream coupled with a fresh, hot, piece of fried bread. It’s like eating a warm doughnut with unbelievably creamy and delicious cold, nutmeg flavored perfection. I also splurged on lobster, which I’m glad I tried, but to be honest, it wasn’t all that grand. The coconut shrimp, however, is perfection.



I’ll now leave you with that thought, since I’ve just made myself hungry again…..

No comments: