Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Anatomical Snuff Box



….is a hollow visible on the radial side of the dorsum of the wrist when the thumb is extended fully.

Basically, people used to put their tobacco there prior to inhaling it. It was the “ladylike” way to enjoy one of life’s most infamous addictions.

Fun times in anatomy.

On a not so fun note, I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping for the past two weeks, up until Sunday night which led to some extreme crankiness on my part.

I have the great misfortune of being an incredibly light sleeper. This translates into the issue of waking up at every slight movement or sound that my roommate or anyone in the hallway might make. Somehow, up until recently it seemed tolerable. But then, somewhere along the line, it got out of hand. I really have no idea what the threshold was for me.

The solution?

Food coma. Pure, blissful, caloric enjoyment pre-bedtime, preceded by a heavier than normal dinner …Enter: Butter, melted cheese, and extra olive oil. The follow up approximately half an hour before I want to sleep involves a belated dessert/snack. For example, last night I polished off the remainder of my Haagen Daz supply and washed it down with hot chocolate made with heated whole milk instead of just hot water - or skim milk for that matter.

K.O. deemed a success.

I did still wake up when my roommate came back from a late night at Taylor Hall, but the difference was – it didn’t keep me up more than a short while.

So, I might be a bit heavier in the coming weeks, but I’ll be a whole lot happier.

Speaking of happy (insert sarcastic grin)……

Midterms are next week.

I’m doing my best to remain calm by imagining my favorite yoga instructor saying the words "let" & "go"- that's "let" on the inhale and "go" on the exhale, in case you were wondering. Although, somehow I missed the memo about how I had to remember not to forget about Biochem : ).

Luckily I found it before the midterm, eh?

Yup. Lucky. That pretty much sums it up.

On that note, I’m off to study the composition of my new favorite word: umami.

Sorry sartorius, you are temporarily slighted.

No comments: