Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's Another Beautiful Day In Zamunda!

For some reason, I could not get that line from the movie Coming To America out of my head this morning. I looked out the window after my workout and it was pouring. Then I started laughing to myself as I heard Arsenio Hall’s voice in my head saying to Eddie Murphy, “Good morning your highness - it’s another beautiful day in Zamunda!” I guess I was laughing at my own absurdity, because I have no reason to complain.

I had lunch with a truly awesome second termer yesterday who has been unbelievably supportive of all the island newcomers. It’s incredible that in medical school, people still find time to go out of their way for you. Afore mentioned second termer writes a pretty terrific blog as well. Check it out.

My watch is “stuck” in military time. I have no idea how it got there or how to get it out. But then I have to smile, because it suits the boot camp metaphor of my current situation beautifully. I’m getting used to subtracting twelve between the hours of 1:00 PM and midnight. Great for the mental math skills, which as many of you know are HORRENDSOULY lacking (small reflection of that issue in my MCAT Physical sciences score, but I guess that’s old news). Let me just add before moving on however, that I think it’s absurd that all along in your pre-med education you can use a high tech calculator that can even manipulate the equation for you so you can skip out on the algebra of it, but when it comes time for the MCAT it’s cruelly ripped from your bosom.

Okay, done with the MCAT angst session. Repeat after me: “I love the Caribbean. I love the Caribbean. I love the Caribbean……”

Excellent.

Now, back to biochem. Thanks for tuning in to our commercial break.

‘till next time campers…..

2 comments:

S said...

the feelings are mutual bud! if you ever need to chat about the idiosyncrasies of island life (or certain anatomy 'professors'), you know where to find me. lunch was awesome, i'm glad we got the chance to finally meet! :)

Simrun said...

Ditto : )