Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Journey

It’s 4:15 AM and there’s already a queue in the household for tea. Mom’s cup made it to the warmer first (only room for one) so mine and Dad’s sat patiently by its side. When I got mine, I realized that it’s the last cup I will have made by my father for too many months. It’s a ritual in our household… making tea that is. Every aspect is carefully planned and designed to enhance the taste.

It’s 5:53 AM - Mom & I have just arrived at LAX. I find a porter to carry my ridiculous load: 2 boxes, each weighing 50 lbs, 2 suitcases weighing 50 lbs, one carryon suitcase weighing about 25 lbs, and one backpack…weight unknown. Yes, I paid for the extra baggage, but it turned out to be about the same as shipping it so I figured why not take it with me instead of waiting for it indefinitely.

6:20 AM – The search for coffee begins. I’m a tea & coffee junky. Although, it’s not really the caffeine that I’m after. It’s the psychological comfort that a hot beverage can offer. It seems my only option is one of two Starbucks. I go for the one that is not alongside the Burger King. The couple in front of me in line is too much for me to handle at this hour. They are all over each other. It’s not just that though. There is something about this girl that my overly judgemental self is irritated by. She’s wearing a faux fir jacket, black hot pants, carrying a Juicy Couture handbag that announces itself in an incredibly loud manner, and can’t seem to stop feeling up her boyfriend at this ungodly hour before I’ve had my coffee.

There. Done venting. And yes, I know that I’ve just outed myself as a complete snob.

6:50 AM. Consuming afore mentioned coffee along with a bit of oatmeal outside the gate. Two young guys that look like recent college grads approach in search of seats. They opt for the two next to me. One of them is holding a planner that reads, “St. George’s University” on it. What are the odds, I wondered. Apparently pretty high, because it turns out there are at least 7 others on this flight.

We introduce ourselves. The girl sitting behind and a few seats over is also starting first term. As we chat, one of the boys opens his carry on. He looks up at me and smiles, “I was told to pack enough supplies to last me a week.”

“I know, me too.”

The first things I see are: Kit Kats, Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups, Keebler’s Fudge Striped cookies (good taste : ) ), Rohen’s Anatomy Atlas, First Aide for the USMLE Step 1, socks, T-shirts……

It made me smile. Way to go for prioritizing the snacks.

7:35 AM: Boarding. In line, we meet several other students. The flight is completely booked.

10:56 AM: I am typing this.

12:30 PM: We land in Miami, only it’s 3:30 PM here. The plane sits on the tarmack for an extra bit waiting for a gate to open up. It takes 25 minutes for everyone in front of me to disembark. The hunt for food begins.

4:00 PM: At the gate – students, students, & more students. The announcer comes on to ask for volunteers to take a flight tomorrow offering $500, hotel stay, and meal vouchers. You’d think someone would have jumped for it. If they did, it wasn’t a student. Everyone is too concerned with getting there and getting adjusted.

In the sea of faces it was funny to recognize a few here and there from Facebook or the flight from LA and begin introducing ourselves in the non-virtual world.

5:30 PM: I’m on the plane. Next to me is another first termer and a 6th term Vet School student. They’re both really nice. The Vet student has good advice to offer.

5:45 PM: I am looking out the window watching the bags get loaded. After a while, the person loading things directly onto the mechanical belt bringing the bags into the cargo belly motions to another baggage attendant with a cartload of more bags to stop. He gives him a sort of “kill it” signal with his hands motioning them across one another. The baggage attendant gestures towards the additional baggage in a questioning manner wondering what to do with them then. The man near the belt simply shrugs.

Oh Shit.


Funny, one of those bags looks an awful lot like mine.

Or maybe not so funny.

I’ll find out in a short while.

7:31 PM – Grenada time: I’m typing this.


9:35 PM- Wheels down. The captain comes on, “I’d like to extend a special welcome to all of our first term students.”

A rambunctious crowd responds with approval.

2 comments:

Neuro Chick- Kid Doc said...

I'm right here with you. But you left us in suspense... did your bag make it?

Simrun said...

Ha ha - yes, it made it. You're right - I dropped the ball on that one. I guess I would've made a big verbal stink about it if I had.