Thursday, September 25, 2008

Endorphins

I admit it; I’ve gotten out of shape. So much so that I had forgotten that rush that comes with a steady flow of endorphins – until today. 20 minutes into cardio and I can’t stop smiling. Come to mamma you beautiful molecules….”Oops, I did it again……” (don’t judge people, you know you love it too)…..”I’m not that innocent.....”

Meanwhile, I’m learning a great deal about the ups and downs of the business world. My poor mother is practically being hacked to death by the big guns in the dairy business. I suspect someone sees her as quite a potential threat to their livelihood. Eat or be eaten people. Sorry, any more details and I’d have to offer you up as chum.

I finally finished the online eye health training course for Unite For Sight. Damn interesting stuff. For example – River Blindness, aka onchocerciasis is a form of blindness caused by a worm that enters your body through a black fly. Yup, I’m not kidding. Here’s how it works….a black simulian fly carrying worm larvae in its saliva bites you, transferring the larvae into your skin. In this palatial atmosphere, they mature into adult worms that appear like nodules underneath your skin. The adults then breed with each other – as adults tend to do – and their babies travel through your beautiful body occasionally reaching your eyes. The spread of the worms causes intense itching. If it so happens that one of these worms should die, which naturally they must at some point, the result is inflammation. Under the circumstance that the location of death was your eyeball, the inflammation causes blindness. Yup. Oh, and they can grow to be up to half a meter in length. Hope you’re not about to have a meal if you are squeamish.

This does lead me to think that I am going to LOVE parasitology. Damn fascinating. On a less gruesome note, I don’t think I mentioned that I reached my fund raising goal !! $1,560 – not too shabby.

Thank you so much to all of you that have made donations! Seriously, someone will be able to see because of you. That’s pretty incredible.

The molecules are flowing....

No comments: